Vakkaya : 1 cup
Mustard seeds : 2 tbsps
Fenugreek Seeds : 1 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder : 2 tbsps
Turmeric powder : more than a pinch
Salt : 2 tbsps
Mustard Seeds :1/2 tsp
Methi seeds :1/2 tsp
Asafoetida a big pinch
Oil : 3-5 tbsps
1. Heat pan on medium flame, add fenugreek seeds and roast them until golden brown.
Cool and grind fenugreek seeds into fine powder along with mustard seeds.
2. Wash and pat dry vaakkaya.
3. Half and deseed vaakkaya (seeds are quite bitter).
4. In a mixing bowl, add chopped vaakkaya, red chilli powder, ground fenugreek mustard powder,
Turmeric and salt.
5. Heat oil in a small pan on medium flame, add all popu ingredients in order.
6. When mustard, fenugreek changes color, add this to above pickle bowl.
7. Mix thoroughly and store in an air tight container for 1 or 2 days for all flavors to develop.
Serve with rice.
Notes: Store in an air tight container and refrigerate this Vaakaya pickle to increase shelf life.